Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Introduction

I am not an expert, nor am I a fifty-year veteran of business. I am however a businessman who has always gone out of his way to ensure both sides of any deal are happy. I began putting down my thoughts during the first half of 2006, as I was just approaching my first year anniversary of being in business for myself. Since having my own company, I think I have been more conscious of those around me. I definitely am aware of how much time I end up waiting on others.

In the corporate world, there is always the need to wait on others. I have often heard people say that if there were no employees or customers, businesses would be much easier to run. The fact is that we need both and therefore we need to rely on others whether it is to make decisions, receive documentation or even get approval to move forward.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company defines integrity as:

1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.
2. The state of being unimpaired; soundness.
3. The quality or condition of being whole or undivided; completeness.

Now let me make clear that I am a type “A” personality and I do have very high expectations (of others and myself), but I also pride myself on my ability to create long-lasting positive business relationships.

I reply to e-mails within 24-48 hours, same with phone calls. If I have not heard back from someone within two weeks, I resend my previous e-mail or follow up on the call. Now you may think that is what a salesman needs to do, however, I am not a salesman. I am businessman.

I know I am not the only one who has chosen not to do business with a friend in order to maintain a relationship. Nor am I the first to have simply felt that a verbal agreement was enough only to have to renegotiate when the other party changes her mind.

The world is becoming more and more of a global community and I feel it is important at this point to take a step back and look at one’s self, ensuring that he is doing all that he can to promote positive relationships and deals that are beneficial to all.

I do not expect you, the reader, to agree with every word that I say. I am not infallible. I do, however, recognize a balance in the way of doing business with integrity. Most of what I write will seem quite elementary, but as Voltaire said, “Common sense is not so common.”

By the way, all names will be changed to protect those parties whose stories I discuss, as well as to hopefully maintain my relationships with them. Hopefully you will take something positive away from this.

1 comment:

Energy Girl said...

Mr. Type-A Personality,

Your comments are rare--no scathing, self-appreciating monologues on the juicy hypocrisy of the day.

Judge me as you wish. I'm a budding entrepreneur
in the midst of a re-invention and look forward
to tapping into your wisdom. Business needs a healthy awakening.

Sincerely,
Energy Girl