Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Friday, June 1, 2007

Staying In The Loop

I often work as an originator for debt financing deals. The deals are brought to me through sources of mine and then I connect them with contacts that I have for funding. I often step back and let the clients speak directly with my funding sources. One request I make when introducing the parties is that I am copied on any e-mail correspondence (i.e. CCed).

This allows me to follow the deal and know the exchange that is occurring between the parties. An investment banker that I often work with has said that I am much more involved than most originators who simply step away after the introductions. I take that as a compliment. There have been many occurrences when one side or the other comes back to me and shares that they have not heard back from the other or have a specific issue that I can help with. I then do my best to keep both sides communicating and help to resolve any issues. I will speak to each side and get a better understanding of any issues they may have. By having stayed involved with the deal through observation, I have a stronger understanding of the where things are headed.

The awareness for today is to pay attention to things you are involved with and to keep yourself in the loop when it can benefit you over the long run.
~Paul

No comments: