Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Friday, August 17, 2007

Work/Life Balance

I was talking with an entrepreneur the other day and he brought up the fact that with owning his own businesses, he is always working. His cell phone keeps him connected even when he is not in the office; I actually know that he accomplishes quite a bit of work on his commutes as well.

I agree that when you own your own business, you need to be more available than if you were an employee. However, it is important to maintain a life outside of your work as well. Obviously it depends on the type of business you are in, but for me I love working for myself and being able to take time when I need it. There are times when I need to be on a conference call on a weekend, return e-mails or work on projects, but there are the other times when I can take a three day weekend, start my day early or end my day late.

I like to work for myself in order to create the lifestyle that I want to live. We each need to find that for ourselves.

The awareness for today is to make sure that we are comfortable with our work/life balance. If you are not, then look at boundaries you can create for yourself around work and make time for yourself and those you care about.

Have a great weekend!
~Paul

1 comment:

Jennie said...

How timely for me. I'm just finishing work at 8:20pm on Sunday. I took off some time earlier in the week because I had a friend come in from out of town, so I'm making it up by working on Sunday afternoon/evening.

I love having a job where I am able to make that kind of choice...to take off some time during the 'work week' and make it up on the weekend.