Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Length Does Matter

I have been paying attention to other people's blogs and e-mails and I have to admit, I like my own...I might be a bit biased.

The issue that I am really referring to is length. Some blogs are just too long. I try to keep mine short and sweet and if there is more to write about on a specific subject, then I will break it up into parts. It is one thing to keep readers coming back often to read a couple of paragraphs, but when it turns into pages and pages, I just tune out or stop reading altogether. This is the same for e-mails. A quick concise e-mail is great, but when someone writes a tome it ends up only being quickly scanned because there is just not enough time to read it word for word.

The awareness for today is to not write a page if a paragraph will do. If a paragraph will not do, then break it up into manageable parts. Your readers will appreciate it.
~Paul

1 comment:

Unknown said...

At first I wondered if the title of your most recent blog might be a joke. I see however you are referring to the length of a blog. I completely agree when it comes to this point. A lot of times people will go on and on about things you already are aware of or repeat themselves redundantly. An example of this might be someone telling you about business practices you already are aware of in a very long email. Most people just don't have the patience to wade through a very long email to find the few kernels of truth or insight it may contain. It is especially annoying to receive these 'manifestos', as I call them, on a regular basis, and then be forced to spend time trying to discover if there's really anything there worth paying attention to. But back to blogs. I agree completely about length mattering. Many times there's been a good blog that I know I like, but I will not pay attention to it because it is 500 words long and the author of the blog has not broken it up into easily read paragraphs, but instead has not his the return key once, leaving an unsightly, hard-to-approach, 'brick' of words. Who wants to start reading such a thing? Not me for one, and I'm sure others can sympathize.