Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Networking 101 Basics

I read a great post from an associate of mine, Carole, at Tips from the Biz World of Alliance Advisors, Inc. called "Why Do We Network?" I got Carole's permission to reprint it so that I could share it with you. Enjoy!

"Why Do We Network?"

I'm beginning to feel like everyday is a constant motion of eating out, whether it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or meeting for committee discussions of a group I belong, collecting monies for fundraisers I committed to, etc. I attend just about any networking function or event I believe will benefit myself or my business. Why do I do this? Because networking and referrals are the source of livelihood in my business. The more people start to recognize me and we have built a relationship, the more they have confidence in me being able to help their businesses.

I am not the best networker in the world and am constantly working on this but I would like to share some tips on effective networking:

1. Always have a business card. I attended a luncheon yesterday and a young lady was new to venue (as I was) and when it came time to exchange cards she didn't have any. So she writes it on a slip of paper (but she had to ask for my pen because she didn't have one of those either!).

2. Practice your elevator speech! I am working on all of my marketing techniques frequently so I am constantly updating my elevator speech or changing it. Sometimes I get mixed up due to this and not enough practice. Practice, practice, practice!

3. Pay close attention to whom you are speaking. Show an interest. Ask resourceful questions to find out if they are a possible client (find out what they do).

4. Proper attire. I have seen so many new people show up at networking events totally unprepared or unprofessional looking. First impressions are very important!

5. First impressions. Be careful not to over rate yourself when speaking with people. Your credibility is on line here and if you become known for talking about yourself too much, or you think you know everything, etc., it is hard to change the initial impression.

6. Be aware when the conversation is dwindling and excuse yourself and move on to someone else. Do not take up too much of any one's time. They are there for the same purpose as you, to meet people.

7. Do not be afraid to attend alone. When I first ventured out, it was very hard for me because I was not used to attending functions alone. Once you get through the door, you will find out you are not the only person. Step out, be bold, and meet new people.

8. Follow up after the event. If you made a connection at an event, follow up with a note letting them know you enjoyed meeting them. Personal touch means so much more and you will have become unforgettable in that persons mind.

I hope some of these tips help you in your search for your next client or you next sale. I am on an every day learning curve, so perhaps in the future I will add more tips about networking. You never know who you may meet or what may happen at a networking event.

I'd better go get ready for my Chamber luncheon. . . . . . .

Carole
Alliance Advisors, Inc.

I am back on the road, but I will check back with you in a couple of days. ~Paul

No comments: