Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Friday, March 23, 2007

Working to Live

I just had a networking lunch with a friend and we were discussing a concept that an early employer of mine had taught me: "One should work to live and not the other way around."

I know many workaholics. I also understand that there are times in our lives and careers when we need to focus on our work. I however do not want to live to work, but rather the other way around.

I believe it is important to create boundaries around our work. For most of us, the reason we work is to provide the lifestyle we desire; children, vacations, dining out, houses, cars, financial freedom, education, etc. I am not implying that most people work hard simply for material possessions, but many people do. I am not here to judge why one works, only to raise awareness to the fact that it is important to remember that our careers are not our lives.

Remember to take time for yourself, then take time for your family, friends, etc. Be aware of why you are working so hard and remember to enjoy your life! Have a great weekend and take some time for yourself!

~Paul

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I'm not sure I agree with all you're saying here. I think for many people their jobs are not just about "bringing home the bacon" but about satisfying personal needs. It has taken me a long time to really hone in on what external needs I need to have filled. I'm currently in a job with a very low salary, but hte job is incredibly satisfying. I get a lot of my needs met every day at my work.