Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Junk Networking Events

I am sure that a lot of you out there spend a good amount of time at networking events. Whether they are in the morning, afternoon or evening, they take up time. Some of the networking events that I attend are incredibly valuable; many are not.

I am working on cutting out the junk networking events that are really just a waste of my time. If I am not making good connections and the event is not filled with high calibre attendees, then I am not going to attend the event. My time is too precious to waste. I recommend that you take stock of the events you attend on a regular basis and stop wasting your time if they are obviously not worthwhile.

Now, you may say that you have already cut out all of the fat. If you really have, then good for you. However, I know that many of us, myself included, have gotten used to certain networking events that we now attend habitually. That is great if you have the time and enjoy the event; perhaps you look at it more as a social event than a business networking event. It has been pointed out to me and I am recognizing that I could make better use of my time than attending some of the networking events that I have gotten used to.

So my awareness today, and I recommend that you address this as well, is to cut out the junk networking events and the feeling that we "should" attend them. If I can make better use of my time outside of the networking event and I already know that the businesses represented at the event are not in alignment with what I am looking for, then I am not going to attend.

Maybe I will see you at the next event, maybe I won't.
~Paul

3 comments:

Jennie said...

Good for you! It is HARD to say no.

Anonymous said...

After a productive, back-to-back networking day, I have to agree with you. Your blog today makes me highly aware of which values I'm creating my schedule with (enhancing social networks or business networks) and how responsible I'm being to growing my business.

It's a great time to think about clearing out the junk for spring cleaning.

All the best,
Tanya

Anonymous said...

No doubt we focus on what we love--always. Some like junk. Others...well...don't. Cheers to you for being the change you want to see in the world.