Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Long-term Networking

Okay, so I got some private responses regarding my post debating dropping my Chamber membership from people reminding me that associations like the Chamber of Commerce are not about immediate connections, but rather about building relationships over time. I agree. The Boulder Chamber of Commerce has been great for building relationships; many of them have turned into friendships as well.

After a couple of years (hopefully less, but sometimes more), you should get a pretty good feeling about what does and doesn't work for your business. I am very happy with the relationships that I have made through the Chamber, but I am also quite aware that the majority of them are not even potential clients.

My plan is not to stop networking completely, but rather to target events, groups and organizations that are more in alignment with my services and goals.

The awareness for today is to put your energy towards the "right" events, groups or organizations, rather than the convenient ones.
~Paul

No comments: