Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Helping the Little Guy

I took my car in for an oil change today. Not very exciting, but I spoke with the owner about his shop a bit. He asked me what I did for a living and I told him that I was a business advisor/connector and he asked me if I wanted to buy his business. I was surprised because I knew that his son worked with him and I had assumed that when he was ready to retire (not too far off) that his son would take over.

He told me that his son has some major back problems and that it was best for him to get out of the business. I thought about it for a second as I knew that there was not much I could help him with, but I realized that even though his is a very small business, I may still be able to connect him with either potential buyers or at least some business brokers to assist him in the sale. He was quite appreciative and I know that it will take me very little time to help him.

The awareness for today is to pay attention to activities that are outside of our normal businesses and still help when we can. Do not let it interfere with your priorities, but if it is no skin off of your back, then help someone else.
~Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul, I definitely agree with helping others. As I am out doing business or just enjoying life, I listen carefully for opportunity to support or help someone in their iniatives. The returns far out weigh the efforts.

Carole DeJarnatt
Alliance Advisors, Inc.