Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

More Cultural Awareness

I have recently become friends with a Japanese man sent to Boulder by his company to study English at the University of Colorado at Boulder's International English Center. He and I have been meeting to practice his English as well as to simply learn more about each other and our cultures.

Last night I took him to the Boulder Chamber of Commerce's Business After Hours networking event. It was a good event (fantastic food!) and he had a great time meeting people and practicing his English.

He and I have since communicated a couple of times via e-mail about the event. He was concerned that he had insulted someone because at first he had misunderstood them and had responded to them based on his misunderstanding. I assured him that he had done no harm.

What I was impressed with was his awareness of others around him and his concern for them. I do not see that as often amongst Americans. It was refreshing to know that he was conscious of another's reaction and feelings.

The awareness for today is to simply be aware. Pay attention to what you say and how you act and how those may affect other people. I am trying to work on this one myself!

No comments: