Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Monday, February 19, 2007

Perspective

This weekend I was at a poetry reading. It was a small group and I wasn't planning on sharing anything. I wanted to observe everyone else's experience and see what I took away from it.

Very early on, I changed my mind and shared a Shel Silverstein poem from memory.

“Early Bird”
by Shel Silverstein

Oh, if you’re a bird, be an early bird
And catch the worm for your breakfast plate.
If you’re a bird, be an early bird—
But if you’re a worm, sleep late.

The poem is very simple, but it always reminds me to take perspective into account. There can be multiple truths to a situation based on one's own vantage point. Some times what I see from my point of view can be drastically different than what someone else sees from the other side.

It is important to take this into account and be aware that there is always a different side viewing the same situation with a different set of facts. Think about whether your are the early bird or the worm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the worm.

Anonymous said...

Great perspective! I'm reminded about listening to others and allowing the take away from the conversation be something special. Almost as special, perhaps, as a young child being amazed by such simple wisdom.