Latest Headlines

Integrity & Awareness by Paul Burnstein

Monday, February 5, 2007

Spell It Out

From Clients:
Regarding a graphic designer, "I thought business cards were included in the cost to design my logo."
Regarding a debt collection agency, "I assumed that I would get a bill each month as a reminder for payment. I didn't think I was being charged."
Regarding an online service, "I thought once the account was cancelled, my credit card would automatically stop being billed."

Have you ever agreed to work with someone and believed you were on the same page, only to find out that you both have vastly different understandings of your agreement? Have you ever signed up for something and not read the complete agreement as to what you were signing up for?

I sure have and man is that frustrating. Through multiple misunderstandings, I have learned to completely spell out the expectations from both sides and also to read any agreements in writing, not simply sign them. This goes back to an earlier post of mine relating to putting agreements in writing, but here I am talking about items that may not be in contract form; work expectations from employers or for employees, starting a business with friends, contracting with a vendor, etc.

I like to believe that people have good intentions, but when it comes down to it, we do not all think alike.

When you agree to do something with someone else, clearly define what your expectations are. Also, summarize and explain back to the other party your understanding of their expectations of you. If you spell it all out and are completely clear, then there is less room for ambiguity.

No comments: